|The minaret of the Koutoubia Mosque is 69 meters tall|
|The Koutoubia with the Atlas mountains in the background|
The Koutoubia has been the model of two famous buildings the famous Giralda tower of the cathedral in Seville and for the Hassan Tower of Rabat, and has influenced buildings further away. Some has even claimed that from Spain, the Koutoubia has influenced thousands of church towers in Spain and Eastern Europe. Intriguing.....
The Koutoubia was built in the 12th century, during the reign of Almohad Caliph Yaqub al-Mansur. You can see the beautiful minaret from all over the city, and the view from the Djemaa el Fna square is magnificent, with palms and other trees making a green line along the road down to the tower.
|Koutoubia seen from Djemaa el Fnaa|
It is magic to experience the Koutoubia at night when the minaret is flooded in light, and at dawn at dusk when the muezzin calls the faithful to prayer. I do not know whether the muezzin at the Koutoubia has a priority, but as one starts the songe, all the others join in. Just then you are far from Europe.
More mosques here on Enjoy Food & Travel
- Marrakech: Mosque of the Golden Apples (Mosque El Mansour) (January 29th 2012)
- Ali Ben Youssef Mosque, Marrakech (November 25th 2011)
- Ishak Pasa Mosque and hamam, Istanbul (December 9th 2010)
- Istanbul - the marvellous Blue Mosque (July 26th 2010)
- Bereketzade Medresesi Mosque, Istanbul (April 28th 2010)
Vis Marrakech on Enjoy Food & Travel 2010-2011 i et større kart